Sunday 31 July 2011

The Trip - Day 1

July 11, 2011

Three days before, I had been talking to my father-in-law on the phone. (He lives in Missoula, MT).

When I heard that he hadn't mowed his long back yard grass all summer, in hopes of a visit from us (because the kids liked making "nests" in it previously) my heart about broke. I knew we were missing out on a wonderful opportunity to see family this summer, and it would be a tragedy if we didn't just start driving and go.

Three days later, found us loaded in a van: 4 kids, one dog, and myself. Sean couldn't get 3 weeks off work at a moments notice... so he stayed behind and held down the fort.


Day 1: drove 5 hours, camped on the boarder of Wisc/Minn. At sunset, a thunderstorm rolled in. At midnight, our neighboring campers started frantically rushing around packing up, because they had heard tornadoes were on the way, and they were heading home. After I heard the local tornado siren go off, I got everybody out of the tents, and into the van, where we spent a stuffy, nervous, low-sleep night.

No comments: