Friday 17 May 2019

Mother's Day Fun

       It was a memorable Mother's Day.   I stayed up until 2 AM the night before, so Mother's Day for me started  at midnight with me cramming in a couple hours of scripture reading. I had to catch up with Sylvia in the church's "Young Women's Personal Progress" program.  Sylvia had finished all the reading assignments and projects in her book earlier in the month. She was way ahead of me!
      We have been working through the program mostly together this past year, wanting to earn the award at the same time. Sylvia did better than I did keeping on track working through the reading assignments.  Suddenly she was done, and I didn't want to be that mom holding her back from getting her award.  So after 3 hours of reading, I finally finished my booklet, in the early hours of Mother's Day.
   
     We were interviewed together later in the day by our congregation's Branch President, and will be receiving our awards together next Sunday.  I'm so proud of her.  She has learned new skills (baking, sewing, embroidery, genealogy), participated in new activities,  and spent close to a hundred hours in the scriptures.  She was motivated to earn this from within.  I admire her ability to set a goal and work diligently towards it.  She inspires me. I'm proud to be her mom.

Sylvia working on her final YW project: a quilted wall hanging


After a short night's sleep, I woke up early to drive out to a scout camp Sylvia had been on close to town for the weekend.

Troop 167, the same one my older boys were in...
but now they allow GIRLS!  YES!


 The scouts made a warm breakfast for the mom's who came out to the camp that morning.  The mountain man breakfast in the Dutch Ovens was my favorite!

Scoutmaster Mr. Miller with Sylvia, opening the dutch ovens.
The Monkey Bread pull-a-parts were delicious as well. 
The scouts have some cooking skills!

Sylvia and her friend Raegen enjoying being warm
 after a very cold night. (36 degrees)
Sylvia eating with her friends before we packed up.
My girl and I.  A Great Mother's Day!



  After the camp, we drove to the church, getting there before the 9AM meeting started. Sylvia darted into the bathroom and speed-changed into her Sunday clothes, before she came and sat on the bench by me.  I loved sitting next to her in church, still smelling slightly of campfire.  I love sharing both fun activities and religious learning with her.  I love being her mom.


No comments: